At Home With The Hinsons

Monday, March 29, 2010

Monogrammed Spring Tulip

Hi all!
Are ya'll enjoying the longer days
and warmer weather as much as we are?
One word,
GORGEOUS! :)
Spring has arrived like a breathe of fresh air,
and not a moment too soon.

As part of my Spring has Sprung frame of mind,
I've been adding color to my blah winter decor.
So while on a recent trip to the Dollar Store
I spotted the perfect addition to my project list.
A simple, cute and PINK Tulip for one dollar, SWEET!

Here's how I made this tulip blossom.
I started by simply tying a green ribbon
around the top to use as a hanger.
I wanted to add a custom monogram by adding a fabric H.
I even used my Cricut,
but it didn't turn out so well.
So I compromised by attaching 
some extra ribbon to add color.
Here's my spring tulip now,
bringing bright cheer to my front door.

I liked the results, so I lived with it for awhile.
Until, I came across this...
the monogram I needed to complete my project,
for a $1.50! :)

I promptly brought it home and got to work.
The wood was a bit rough so I sanded it.
Then I painted my H black with craft paint.
Next I traced the H onto my toile scrapbook paper.
Oh scrapbook paper, 
I can find a million ways to put you to good use. ;>

I used Modge Podge to attach the paper.
To make the edges crisp,
I cut it a little big and sanded the extra paper off the sides.
To finish it off I topped it with a glossy spray acrylic.

Once my H was dry it was time to move on.
I attached my H to the tulip with hot glue.
Then I tied a ribbon through the tulip
and around the H to secure it.
And of course I added on some extra ribbon,
for color and FUN. :)
I gotta tell ya,
the finished product made me smile!
Here it is, back out on the front porch.
Now my toile flower hanger
has found a friend
AND my front door is balanced.

Hooray for thrifty decor, color
and SPRING.
I love the way my monogrammed tulip turned out!
So, what do you think??
I'm linking up with The DIY Showoff,
A Soft Place To Land,
My Backyard Eden,
and Today's Creative Blog,
so click on over for more project inspiration.

16 comments:

Rachel said...

Super cute!!! Love the tulip... when you find things like that for a DOLLAR, pick one up for your sister, mmm kay?

Kala said...

You are absolutely THE most creative person I know. Seriously. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

MindyMindy said...

This is great! Very creative.
Dont you just LOVE an inexpensive BEAUTY!!
Thanks!

Lei said...

That's just way too cute.

Sandra said...

Adorable idea and for $1.00? Great project!

Leanne said...

Really cute. I like the black with the pink.

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

So cute! Love the scrapepaper on the letter.

amy said...

It turned out very cute, very original. I also like the paper you used.

The Single Nester said...

It looks terrific. I have to head back to the Dollar Tree for that tulip!

Jana C. Rogers said...

I LOVE your craftiness!!! The tulip is SUPER DUPER cute I love it!!! I am not crafty but I will have to try to be because I want one of those!!

Unknown said...

This is super cute! What a great idea! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Super cute! I saw those tulips at the dollar store the other day and wondered what I could do with them! I love what you did!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day at My Backyard Eden!

Sarah AKA The Thriftress said...

So cute and the price is right! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
Sarah

Unknown said...

Seriously- SO CUTE! I love it! I think I have enough "G's" around the house that I wouldn't even have to get one...
We have a friday fun finds party- we'd love it if you'd link up!

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

I love your letterd tulip, so creative!

Sweet Little Smoothie said...

Wow - I would have seen that tuplip and walked right on past. This is so cute and so creative! Thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I just adore hearing from you!