At Home With The Hinsons

Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Big Reveal... My Corner Cabinet Redo


Earlier this week I started with this hideous cabinet. The doors didn't close and it was ugly. It was sitting between the garage doors and quite frankly it was in the way. But, I needed a cabinet for my office and I really wanted a bargain. I was encouraged, by Life In Grace, to rescue some of the things around the house that needed to go to Goodwill. I knew my sad little corner cabinet was the perfect piece to try my hand at redecoranging!

I removed the cabinet doors and used wood filler to patch the holes. I sanded the finish off and applied primer. I'm a tinge OCD so I actually applied two coats of primer. Followed by two coats of white paint.

Now it was time for my second trip to Lowe's. The cabinet was shaping up but it needed a little personality. That's when I decided to add some stenciling. I also took this time to apply white caulk around the edges of the trim. Bye, bye uneven trim!

Last but certainly not least, some much needed antiquing. The white was g-l-o-w-i-n-g before, but much better afterwards.

So here it is, the big reveal as they would say on HGTV. I am so pleased with the results! Thank you Nester for teaching me that "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful!" I'll post new pics once I have it in place. I have plans for baskets with the most fabulous chalk board tags!
Thanks to the great blogs that gave me inspiration and my Mom and Sister for cheering me on. But most importantly thanks to my sweet hubby for all his encouragement. You never once laughed at me. Even when I had to work the book fair at the primary school with one white hand. You even bought me dinner when I forgot to plan anything. Thanks baby, you're the BEST!!!
I encourage ya'll to start your own project. With a few supplies, imagination and hard work you can redecorang... FUN!!!

10 comments:

Rachel said...

LOVE IT!!! I am ready to see it in action... I bet that cabinet can't wait to see lots of Medela gel pads and Lanolin!!

Allison said...

I Love The Cabinet! But I think the cabinet wants to see some bras and nipple shields. I know that is what my lactation consultant game me in my time of need and it really made my life better!!

Frugal Jen said...

Looks great!

edie said...

Sarah,
I don't know how I missed you the first time around...but I love what you've done. The fleur de lis are just the perfect details!

Thank you so much for linking....it has been way too much fun for me.

Hugs and love to you and yours,
edie

Kelly B said...

That looks awesome!! I am so glad I can find blogs of other creative women. I have such a hard time finding creative things to do with what I already have... I can do it for other people but not for me. Your creativity has inspired me for a few different items around this house. Thanks!! :)

Unknown said...

Ohhhh, that is lovely! Thanks so much for sending it my way! I'd be happy to post it! I'll let you know when i do! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, is that ever gorgeous! Love the black stenciling against the white!

Katie Lewis said...

This turned out great! Excellent job!

Infarrantly Creative said...

Fantastic job. And don't you get the biggest kick out of the fact that you did it? I bet you walk passed it a zillion times a day and just stare at it don't you? It is awesome.

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Great job... it is so pretty! I love the added black touches! Isn't it so much fun to do your own makeover project?!

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting, I just adore hearing from you!